Monday, June 6, 2011

More Baking!

So last night after I got off work, I decided to do a bit of baking.  First, I wanted biscuits to go with my strawberry jam/syrup left over from my canning endevour.  Second, I want French Toast some day this week and needed bread. 

Biscuits take me less than no time to make and are second nature to me.  The recipe I use is based from Baking Powder Biscuits in the "Fannie Farmer Cook Book".  I have to double it to get the yield the book says for the single batch; this is because I make huge biscuits and not little baby ones like they want me to make. 

I say "based" because I change it up a bit.  I substitute whole milk for buttermilk when it is available.  I use butter when it isn't too expensive instead of shorening or crisco.  I add different cheeses when it is used as a side for dinner. 
Baking Powder Biscuits
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup butter/shortening
1 1/3 whole milk/buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease two (2) 8-inch round cake pans.  Mix flour, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar in bowl.  Cut in butter/shortening until it resembles course meal.  Add milk and stir until dough forms a ball.  Knead 14 times on a floured board and pat until 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.  Cut into rounds with a 2-inch round cutter.  Place touching in greased cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.

I use my Kitchen Aid to mix and knead the dough.  So my adjustment is to mix with dough hook until the dough has formed a ball around the hook.  I then pat to 1/2 inch thick and cut. 

Also try adding chives, rosemary, and other herbs and spices to the biscuit dough.  For a nice crust brush tops with butter, oil or egg-wash.  Above all enjoy your homemade biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment