Saturday, June 11, 2011

French Toast

As promised, the rest of the French Toast adventure. Tuesday night I sliced my braided loaf up into thick slices; I think around 1-inch thick. I left the slices out overnight to dry and become a little stale. To make really great French Toast the bread cannot be fresh! Wednesday morning, after my morning chores I started breakfast. The first step was to start soaking the bread in an egg and milk mixture.

French Toast

3 eggs
Milk (between ½ cup and 1 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (or to taste)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg in a shallow dish (cake/pie pans work great!). Soak thick slices of day-old-bread in egg mixture on both sides. Make sure it is soaked through and not dry in the middle. Sprinkle some more cinnamon sugar on the bread. Grease a griddle or a frying pan (I like to use butter, but Pam or non-stick spray works). When the butter is melted and the pan is hot place your soaked slices of bread on the pan. After a few minutes (2-3 minutes) flip the toast over. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Serve warm with butter, syrup, powdered sugar or anything else you want to top it with.

While my slices were soaking up the yummy egg mixture, I made some whipped cream to top my toast. We have this awesome nitrous oxide whip cream dispenser for whipped cream. I put about ¼ to 1/3 cup of sugar, fill it half way with whipping cream and around a teaspoon of vanilla. Then close the dispenser and shake. To whip screw on the nitrous oxide cream charger and shake some more. I like to dance around the kitchen while I shake the container about 24 times.

Then I toasted my French toast on the stove top in a medium frying pan. Served up two slices on a small plate with butter, fresh whipped cream, strawberry syrup and powdered sugar. One of my favorite sweet breakfast treats and really quite simple! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment