Saturday, May 28, 2011

County Fair 2011

Thursday I had the enjoyment of attending the opening day of the Sacramento County Fair at Cal Expo.  Dad was volunteering that the Sacramento Area Beekeeper's Association (SABA) booth and I just was there because I enjoy the Fair.  Dad had a great time talking to the little school kids.  I walked around the Fair stopping to talk to exhibitors.  I found some Flemish Giants being shown be a FFA girl, it was one of my babies baby.  I love seeing that! 

After wandering around seeing who was there (and who wasn't) I stopped and watched the swine show. I was really impressed with the judge.  He explained to not only the exhibitors, but the audience as well, why he placed the hogs in the way he did.  Then I went over the the Market Lamb show and Market Turkey show rings.  I was really waiting for the market and dairy goat shows. 

While I was watching the turkey show, I had quite a few school groups come up next to me, spouting some very incorrect versions of what was going on.  I heard that they were having turkey races, cock fights, and even one parent asked me if  the animals in the ring were actually turkeys...I really had no idea what to think. 

After the Turkey Show finally ended, the goats came into the show ring!  I was so excited for the goat show because that is the field I'm going into.  The judge for the goat show was also very impressive, explaining his placings and the good points and faults of each goat.  Unfortunately, I did not get to see the Dairy or Nigerian Dwarf goat shows, as they were being shown on Friday.

Before we left, Dad and I watched some of the Market Beef Show.  Again, the judge was very informative and explained his reasons for placing the animals as he did.

In all, I had a fun time at the County Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment