Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Heartstrings Yarn Studio

On my way out of Chico on Friday I stopped by this little yarn shop that I had walked to one of my first weeks at Chico State.  It is called Heartstrings Yarn Studio.  Honestly, I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed during my first visit.  Although the selection of yarn is INCREDIBLE, there is a lack of local yarns.  I know I went in with expectations of tons of local yarns because this is an “Ag” county and therefore there has to be more local spinners and fiber suppliers.
Even though I wasn’t completely awed my first visit, Heartstrings is one of the (if not the) only yarn shop in Chico.  And I wanted some “good” yarn.  After 10 years I have grown tired of Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn.  I was in the mood for some sock yarn, I want to learn to knit socks two at a time on circular needles.  
I think I chose a good day, there was no one in the store (okay one other person) and the sales lady was so kind to help me.  It was awesome.  I told her I was looking for some sock yarn, she showed me the selection.  I picked out a nice merino wool and an alpaca/merino blend.  Both are delicious!  

Then I told the sales lady I was looking to make some crocheted potholders.  She showed me her selection of 100% cottons as well as the sales bins that I could dig through to find some cotton yarns.  It was great fun!  
I came away with my two sock yarns, a new set of circular needles, and some great information about the local spinning group.  I even applied for a job there!  Boy it would be great if I could work there!
On my second visit my mind was changed regarding this quaint little yarn shop.  I quite like it. The selection of yarn and needles is quite extensive and the staff is very knowledgable.  I will someday be a supplier for high quality fiber rovings and yarn to shops such as Heartstrings Yarn Studio.'

Check out there website at http://heartstringsyarn.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment